Do I Need to Varnish Before Applying a Wash?

Really? Can't I do without varnishing? 


Hello there, and welcome to my first ever post in this new incarnation of my humble little blog!


So, it's been 4 long years since I started my little YouTube adventure, which would never have happened had it not been for the loving ministrations of Nurgle...


But I digress.  Let's face it - you came here because you want me to tell you that it's not really necessary for you to varnish your models before you apply an oil wash (or an enamel wash, or a whatever wash). Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I won't be doing that. Why? Because I would be LYING. 


You can either let me help you face the facts, or go find someone else who tells you that it's ok. Fine with me if that is what you prefer...😈


Still here? Ok, then let's explain. In these 4 years doing weathering tutorials on YouTube, I've done a LOT of videos covering how to apply an oil wash to your models, or how to apply an enamel wash. In fact, that's pretty much how I started! Here is my oldest example, which makes me cringe now...thankfully I've come a long way since then: 



And here is my latest video on the same topic: 


Well, if you watch either of those videos, you will see that even though there's three years in between them (and presumably I would have learnt something in that space of time!), and even though I'm using different products (an enamel in one, an oil in the other), I'm still applying a gloss varnish in both cases. 

So, why did I use a varnish, and what happens IF YOU DON'T? 

Well, the reasons why I used a varnish are as follows: 

  1. Even though I normally use paints that are very hard (hard vs. soft paint is a thing!), I still want to play it safe. In the event that I am very rough with the model when cleaning up the oil or enamel, I want to be sure that the top coat of paint won't be damaged. As my friend Stephan always says, this is also a sort of "save point", to use a videogame analogy. You are in practice doing a "backup" of your work up to that stage. 
  2. As I have pointed out countless times, washes, IF DONE CORRECTLY, work by capillary action. That is to say, they flow into all the nooks and crannies without you directing them with your brush. Don't believe me? Go and watch this Youtube Short of mine: 

So, where were we? Oh yes, capillary action. So, the thing is, unless your entire model has been painted with glossy paints for some strange reason, chances are that it will have a matt, non-smooth surface. Is this bad? Not at all. However, that means, IPSO FACTO, that the degree to which capillary action can help you apply your wash decreases dramatically. Notice how I said "degree"? Well, that's just it. Nothing in modelling, same as in life, is a matter of absolutes. To begin with, not all paints are created equal. Some paints are matt, some paints are satin, and of course some are in fact glossy. And again to different degrees...

So, do you absolutely HAVE TO APPLY A VARNISH before you apply your wash? No, it's not a legal or ethical obligation. You will not be branded a traitor and burnt at the stake. Or at least, it is highly unlikely that you are (but do inform me of any such transgressions, and me and my Weathering Lodge will be in touch). However, if you want to have the highest degree possible of capillary action, then yes, you MUST APPLY A GLOSS VARNISH. And yes, I said GLOSS varnish! For some reason, the other most often asked question is always "does it have to be a gloss varnish?", or "could it not be a satin varnish instead?". Well, my friends, same answer. Yes, it must be a damn gloss varnish. If it's not, you may as well not varnish at all, don't you think? Jeez!

So, that's all I have today. I hope you enjoyed this little rant! Thank you, and remember: keep it up, and weather it out! 

















Comments

Post a Comment